So apparently there’s this thing called ‘Highly Sensitive Person’
I don’t know how I’ve gone so long without knowing about this, because it’s almost as if someone stole a page right out of my life story.
Attributes and Characteristics of Being Highly Sensitive
- Emotionally, Highly Sensitive People (HSP) are mainly seen as shy, introverted and socially inhibited (or can be socially extroverted). They are often acutely aware of other’s emotions. Sensitive people learn early in life to mask their wonderful attributes of sensitivity, intuition and creativity.
- Physically, HSPs may have low tolerance to noise, glaring lights, strong odors, clutter and/or chaos. They tend to have more body awareness of themselves and know instinctually when the environment they are in is not working for them.
- Socially, introverted HSP may feel like misfits. They actually enjoy their own company and are totally comfortable being alone. Both introverted and socially extroverted HSP often find they need time alone to recover after social interactions.
- Psychologically, HSPs compensate for their sensitivity by either protecting themselves by being alone too much, or, by trying to be ‘normal’ or sociable which then over-stimulates them into stress.
- Work and career is particularly challenging for HSPs. They are often overlooked for promotions (because their thought is for other’s and/or the job and not themselves) even though they are usually the most conscientious employees. They are excellent project oriented employees because they are responsible and thorough in their work.
- Relationships can be difficult. In relationships they may be confronted with their unresolved personal issues. They can however, offer their partner the gifts of their intuitive insights.
- Culturally, HSPs do not fit the tough, stoic and outgoing ideals of modern society and what is portrayed in the entertainment media.
- Childhood wounds have a more devastating effect on HSPs. It is important for them to heal their past hurts because they cannot just forget them and go on in denial.
- Spiritually, sensitive people have a greater capacity for inner searching. This is one of their greatest blessings.
- Nutritionally, HSPs may need more simplicity in their diet. They may be vitally aware of the effects of food on the health of their body and their emotional stability.
It’s not like it solves anything, but there’s some relief in knowing I’m not just crazy and that there might actually be a reason I react to things the way I do. Something to think about anyway